St. Paul's Church was the focal point of Irish immigrants to the City of Brooklyn during the Great Irish Famine years of 1845 - 1851 and the early years of the new Diocese of Brooklyn founded in 1853. Since the City of Brooklyn did not require residents to report births and marriages until 1866, St. Paul's sacramental registers serve for that era as the sole documentation of these events for many new arrivals. Some immigrants believed that baptism fulfilled both their religious and civil obligations; consequently, many births went unrecorded even after 1866. Marriages, too, went unrecorded in some cases.
On April 8, 1834 Brooklyn was incorporated as a City. With its increasing population overflowing into the southern part of the newly created City, farms and hills were turning into suburbs, in turn to be changed into closely packed residential (tenement) area.
The unfinished foundation of the new Brooklyn City Hall lay between St. James Church, the first Catholic church in Brooklyn and on Long Island, and the proposed new church for the people living on the southwest side of Fulton Street. The new edifice would be called St. Paul's and would rise on a large field at the corner of present-day Congress and Court Streets.
This volume contains baptism records from July 22, 1839 to September 2, 1857 and marriage entries from August 7, 1839 to August 18, 1857. Completely indexed, it also includes the names of baptismal sponsors and marriage witnesses.
This book is currently out of print.
1996, vi, 282 pp., indexed, paper $43.00