Old Calvary Cemetery received its first interment in 1848 on 115 acres of farmland purchased from the Alsop family who lived across the East River from Manhattan island in an area known as Blissville (modern day Long Island City), Queens County. The first burial there was in August 1848. Today twenty nine sections make up the cemetery which covers 365 acres. The author has given the genealogical community a comprehensive and accurate transcription of thousands of headstones to be found and now preserved in New York's Old Calvary Cemetery. Her scope was broadened beyond the search for headstones containing Irish names and places to include almost indecipherable stones as well as any stone with a place of birth. She examined all the monuments in this huge burial ground, and transcribed over 5,315 which met her criteria. Headstones of Civil War and Spanish American War veterans are also included. This extensive survey provides information which is crucial to genealogists, and once again has made some of Calvary's genealogical riches readily available to the public. (Review by Harry Macy, Jr., F.A.S.G., Editor, The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record)
1996, xviii, 549 pp., 8½ x 11, illus, map, index, paper
About the author . . .